I don’t know about you, but I feel like I’ve wasted a lot of time on false and harmful thought patterns that only brought me deeper into whatever difficulty I happened to be in at the time.
I have had to learn that my thought patterns are not God’s responsibility, not that He won’t help me when I need it, not that He won’t step in and heal and give me breakthroughs, He always will, but it is my choice.
He cannot and will not work in our lives if we refuse Him access.
I cannot expect Him to step in and heal my thought patterns if when He intends to begin, I intend to push back. Breakthroughs with anything only begin with surrender.
Sometimes the Lord just whispers gently to us, ‘You gotta work with Me.’
So if you’re at the place with God where you’re ready to work with Him the next time you feel yourself falling into a bad thought pattern, the best way to retrain your brain, is to make a list of truths, truths about you, truths about God, truths about His promises, and verses He’s given you specifically concerning your purpose.
If you begin to try to create a new habit of pulling out this list of truths every time your brain hears a lie, in time, you will find yourself not entertaining the lies anymore and asking yourself things like well, what if God really isn’t good, or what if He doesn’t care about me? Or what if He’s ashamed of me?
Instead, your habit will become confronting every lie with the TRUTH of who you are, who God is, and what your purpose and calling are. Not only will you destroy the yoke of old thought patterns, but you will also begin to be confident in the Lord, rooted, grounded, and built up in love.
You will be so instilled and infused with truth over time, that your knee jerk reaction is to overflow with it, and your old way of thinking will feel foreign.
If you’re currently in a funk and not ready to even consider this plan, I would encourage you to ask the Lord, just ask Him to help you want to make a start.
He is not surprised or disappointed or ashamed of you for where you are.
But He does offer His hand to you to help you move forward if you choose.
Here are some of my personal favorite truths on my own list. You may read them and not even be at a place where you can believe them, that’s okay. You don’t have to be right now. They are true whether you believe it or not, and your act of obedience in just reading them will always be blessed.
*Take some time and spend it in the Word, looking up these verses below. It will help in your practice!
TRUTHS ABOUT YOU:
• You are the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus.
• You were created to do good works
• You are redeemed from the curse of the law
• You are established in righteousness and oppression is far from you
• You do not have the spirit of fear, but power, love and a sound mind
• You are healed by Jesus stripes
• You overcome all power of the enemy because greater is He that is in you, than He that is in the world
• You are loved with an everlasting love
• No one can take you out of the Fathers hand
• There is nowhere you can go, where He is not there
• You have a future hope, and your hope will not be cut off
• You are dearly beloved and washed white as snow
• The blood of Jesus makes you guiltless and blameless
TRUTHS ABOUT GOD
• He cannot lie
• From age to age He is the same
• He is Just
• All His ways are Truth
• He is the Light, and in Him is no darkness at all
• His plans for you are GOOD
• He works all things together for your good
• His plans will stand, He will work and no one is going to stop Him
• He is good, and His loving-kindness endures forever
• He is the Good Shepherd, He gave His life for you
• He knows the number of the hairs on your head, and there is no detail of you that He does not know and care about
• His love for you endures forever
• He is the Creator and the life giver
I hope my lists are a helpful jumping off place as you begin to create your own lists full of the affirmations, passages, and promises that are your own.
May you be blessed as you begin to engage in the highly effective strategy of truth speaking in your own spiritual warfare.
By Briana Lassiter
I’m married to my dearest friend of 8 years and mom to an energetic 6-year-old. My greatest joys come from traveling with my little family, cooking for appreciative recipients, learning herbalism and natural medicine, and every experience I get to have in prayer ministry. I’m an avid tea and book lover and can’t get enough of either. I love Jesus and the daily adventure that comes from walking in friendship with him as he arranges and rearranges my story.