Hello Creatives and welcome to Week 6 of Sow the Seeds & Seize the Dream 12-Week Creative Course.
This week’s module is designed to help you begin to do what it takes in order to bring life to your creative dream and vision.
In order to do anything, we must accept the fact that change is required. Many of us balk at the very word ‘change’ because it generally means that we are going to enter into a season of discomfort and the unknown, which requires a greater level of faith on our part.
Change in life requires decision making, which means we have to be decisive. If we want to live and seize our dream we have to make the necessary changes and stick with them.
In our creative process, and dare I say life in general, vision is where you take stock and figure out what it is what you want, the voice is the sound you want to make, the impact you want to create, the identity, if you will, of how you want to present this vision that you have.
Doing, at this level is more pragmatic and mental than it is a physical action. Your ‘doing’ is not just found in the tools or the actions that you use to implement what you want to do. This level of doing begins first with:
- Seeing what you want to do
- Acknowledging what you have on hand or available to you (Your current tools)
- And then determining what you need to let go of in order to obtain what it is that you have coming in your next level of creativity
You need to determine what it is that is holding you back, and there are things that hold us back like weighing anchors. Here are some things that could be blocking you from taking hold of your God-given dream:
- Relationships: You will only be as strong and capable as what you are connected to. Being linked with people you’ve considered ‘friends’ whose aim is only to discourage instead of encourage, will always keep you down. We do ourselves a disservice when we allow others to constantly speak death over us and our dreams. Wisdom urges us to create distance from such relationships. (Proverbs 12:26)
- Wrong Thinking: Wrong thinking which generally is the greatest culprit, will always keep us down. Yeshua Jesus tells us be it unto us as we believe, and His word further warns us that as we think in our heart so are we. What are you allowing your heart to say? (Matthew 9:28-29, 8:13; Proverbs 23:7)
- Old Wounds: It could be that we are holding on to old wounds that we have not allowed the Lord to redeem in us.
- Tangile Blockades: Or it could be something as tangible as living in clutter. Cluttered environments easily stifle our movement since we have limited space to move. Decluttering is a big part of letting go.
The root cause of many of these “blocks” tend to be the words of others. Hence why we must be diligent in guarding our dream. Everyone can’t be trusted with your treasure and some ‘friendships’ or romantic relationships could really be the toxins that are preventing your growth. We need to be willing to prune even if it hurts.
NOTE: I am not speaking about marriage, here. For goodness sake, do not leave your spouse in order to become a painter, or cut your mother completely off because she thinks being a writer is a waste of time. These relationships are sacred and require a completely different level of wisdom to work through.
Simply put, you need to take stock and decide what or who it is that you need to let go of in order to take hold of what it is that I have in mind for my vision. This is the biggest part of doing. It is not easy but it is worth it!
As Tamara Lowe put it:
If people don’t respect what you bring to the table, let them dine alone.” ~Tamara Lowe
CREATIVE FAITH IN ACTION
Whatever medium or creative path you are embarking on, determine what you currently have available to you.
- Artist: If you have paper, paint, ink, clay, etc, take stock of it
- Writer: If you have an idea for a story, write it down
- Begin to make a dedicated create space for the road ahead
Also prayerfully consider what is holding you back. If you need to distance yourself from relationships, receive healing, renew your mind, or declutter, now is the time to do so.
- What have you found is the most difficult part about change?
- Is making a decisive decision something that you struggle with especially when it means change will be a result. Why?
- Out of the list of ‘blockers’ which do you think has been your greatest obstacle?
- How can you begin to see Christ as being bigger than this obstacle, today?
- What advice do you have for other creatives struggling with similar challenges of change and creative blockers?
Please share your wisdom and advice in the comments below.
FOR MORE INFO ABOUT THIS 12 WEEK JOURNEY, SEE Gearing Up to Prepare for Your Creative Success: Seeds We Sow
~Dream. Imagine. Believe. Do. CONQUER!