Welcome to 2017! This is a new year for resolutions, clean slates, and fresh journals, which leads us to the 365-day novel writing challenge.
This challenge was inspired by a quote I came across on Facebook, by Brad Paisley. I’m certain what he said was not meant to be taken literally but I figured, hey, why not?
Tomorrow is the first blank page of 365 page book.Write a good one. ~Brad Paisley
When I read the quote, I thought, what would it really take to write a book in 365 days besides sitting down and writing one?
Then I saw another shareable moment that read:
12 new chapters. 365 new chances.~Unknown
Within the span of twenty minutes this challenge was born, one that I am giving to myself and offering to you as well.
SO WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO WRITE A NOVEL IN 365 DAYS?:
A novel (Young Adult, New Adult, General Adult) will contain roughly 50,000 for YA, 70,000 to 90,000 words for Adult, depending on the genre. Genres like thrillers and science fiction run around 90,000 to 120,000 words, while middle-grade manuscripts require a lesser tome of roughly 20,000.
To get a bit more information about word count you can check out the blog, “Ask the Agent” by clicking the link.
Putting things down to daily requirements for word count within the 365-day challenge, here it goes:
- 20k Novel: 54 words PER DAY
- 50k Novel: 137 words PER DAY
- 70k-90k Novel: 192 to 245 words PER DAY
- 90k-120k Novel: 245 to 329 words PER DAY
Not very many words, huh? But this is a challenge after all, and I want to give you a little something to work with.
First, let me give you the rules or guidelines.
365-DAY CHALLENGE RULES:
- Choose a Genre and Demographic you’d like to write your novel for.
- Decide which bracket of word count you are in.
- THE RANDOM WORD OF THE DAY-Using a word each day chosen from the random. word list, fulfill your word count requirement by weaving the direction of your narrative around the given word. ( A list of words is at the bottom of this post. You can also do a Google search for random word engines and create your own list of 365 words.)
- How to create Chapters: 52 chapters or 12 chapters in all:
- EXAMPLE for a book with 80k words- You will have roughly 1,600 words a week, the length of a chapter. Create 52 chapters (one for each week)
- Write for 365 days!
And that is it in a nutshell..mostly. This challenge is about having fun but there are going to be days this year where you just don’t have even five minutes to set aside for fun. Life does happen. Here are some things to keep in mind should you decide to take this challenge:
- For days that you can’t write, double up on the days that you can. Grab the words assigned for the given day and write.
- Feel free to follow your creativity: If you are feeling like you have more than 250 words for the day, GIVE MORE! Again, double or even triple up your writing goal for the days when the juices are flowing.
- Have fun!
RANDOM WORD LIST WILL APPEAR ON THE NEXT PAGE. CLICK THE NEXT PAGE BUTTON BELOW THE ADDS, LIKES, & SHARE THIS TABS.
~Dream. Imagine. Believe. Do. CONQUER!