Having a blog requires maintenance just like most things in our lives. If you own a car and expect it to run at full peak and power you need to make sure that you have it tuned-up, the oil changed, tires rotated etc.
If you own a house, you need to keep the gutters clean, make sure your air filters are changed on a proper schedule…you need to clean the house period.
Goodness, even our own bodies need regular maintenance and the occasional sprucing to ensure we look and feel our best and operate at our highest and best capacity.
The same goes for our blogs. When our blogs lose their ‘new-car-smell’ and fall dull where they used to have a bright luster, we lose our focus to create our post. We lose our drive in the dust of a neglected blog platform. We lose that magic that called us to blogging in the first place.
The good news is that we don’t have to!
HERE ARE 5 WAYS TO SPRUCE THINGS UP AND KEEP YOUR BLOG SHINING:
1. Change it up! Be willing to try on a new theme: Sometimes what keeps not only readers from visiting our blogs again but you from posting is a boring blog theme that doesn’t make you feel engaged.
We eat with our eyes, first. And yes we do judge books as well as blogs by their covers. If you feel like your theme is boring and you just don’t like it, odds are it is and no one else does either.
If you want bees to seek the nectar of your blog, attract them with your petals. Use an engaging theme.
2. (If you’ve changed your theme and still aren’t sure) Ask your blogging community what they think your blog space needs to make it pop: Your followers and friends care about what you’re doing. They are the best ones to lend advice.
It could be that your new theme is smashing! and you are simply overthinking things. If you still are sure, give the new theme a week before trying on something new.
3. Narrow down your menu items: Unfortunately, the human brain tends to turn into mush when it is presented with too many options. Narrow things down for your audience when it comes to tabs in your menu.
Hey, I need to do this myself, (Just being honest) but 5 menu options tends to be the magic number, 7 might be growing on people…it is the number of perfection after all.
4. Recycle some of your older blog postings: If you’ve been blogging for a while, it’s safe to say you have over five-hundred posts. Some of your great ones got lost in the shuffle. Spruce them up and give them another curtain call!
5. Trash your old posts that just didn’t cut the mustard and frankly, don’t really connect with your blog brand or your audience. I’m not an SEO pro by any stretch but from what I understand, too much clutter is, well, clutter.
Bad clutter keeps people who could be potential followers from finding you and following your blog. Yes, this is going to take time, just like good-ole-spring cleaning, but it is worth it.
Set yourself a weekly goal and start sifting through your postings. You’ll have more room to breathe AND this might even help you narrow down your menu options.
BONUS: Make a list of at least 3 reasons why you enjoy blogging and post it near your work space. This reminder will keep things in perspective, and focused postings keep you as well as your audience happy!
~Dream. Imagine. Believe. Do. CONQUER!