Writing Prompt: Person, Place & Thing
TIME LIMIT: 45 min to 50 min
CHALLENGE: Nouns are such lovely things…or not things 😉 In this challenge we will gather random nouns and in 45 minutes create a poem or short story involving them. If you need any help with your choices visit my Pinterest page for some help. Follow the LINK. I have a collection of places to choose from, found on my “places of inspiration” board. The Challenge sounds obvious but I assure you there is a bit of fun involved.
- Persons: Choose 5 names. Make up 5 names, male and female for a total of 5 altogether. Write them down on five pieces of paper and set them in a pile. (or gather 5 images of people off the net that peak your interest, and put their images in a pile. (Make sure the contents of each page is hidden from your view.)
- Places: Choose 5 places and write them down on 5 slips of paper and set those in a pile. (Think of the most random places like Mac Donald’s, the grocery store, etc or choose a location from my Pinterest page.)
- Choose 5 random things, write them down on separate slips of paper, fold them and place in a pile.
- Set your timer, shake up the first pile and start writing your story/poem using the name or image of the randomly drawn person. (Spend 15 minutes building the story before drawing from your “places” pile. (It doesn’t matter if you have started your story poem in one place, now it is time to move it to another.) Also draw again from the persons pile and create a new character to the story/ poem
- Repeat step 4 with the things pile but without adding another person unless you feel compelled to do so. Weave this “thing” into the fabric of your poem/story and use the rest of the 45 min bringing your piece to a rounded close.
REMEMBER, if you participate in the challenge, please add a link back to this page and share your results!
I will, as always post my results next Tuesday (Yes, I am aware I am posting this challenge on Wednesday…take an extra day if you need too 😉 )